Guest Expert, Pamela Atwood,
Part 2 of our executive recruiter series: How to prepare for recruiter-coordinated interviews.
- Do your Homework. Research the Company including all people you will be interviewing with. Linked-In and Google are good resources here.
- ALWAYS over prepare.
- Communicate freely with the recruiter. Phone them immediately after ALL interviews to share feedback.
- Listen intently and learn from your recruiter’s coaching and feedback.
- Plan for your interview just as you would a sales call. Interviewers notice when candidates are well prepared (and when they’re not!).
- There are three parts to an interview: 1) Rapport Building (the opener); 2) Conversation (the middle). You MUST prepare questions beforehand you can ask during the interview; 3) The Close. Ask for the position if in fact you are truly interested.
Relationships are built on trust and communication over time. It’s important to keep recruiters up to date on your interviews to ensure they can negotiate the best deal for you.
Pamela Atwood, MBA, is President of Atwood Associates, an executive recruiting firm. She brings more than 20 years’ experience in the healthcare arena, including recruiting, management, marketing, and business development. She is also serves as adjunct professor in Upper Iowan University’s Health Care Services and Human Resources degree programs. Pamela chairs the American Heart Association “Go Red for Women” Executive Leadership Team.